Thursday, June 24, 2021

FLASH FICTION CONTEST #2

I’m a normal kid, if you don’t count one thing. Yup, one thing- I don’t go to school. That’s kinda the main idea. But I’m educated. Well, uh, sorta. I don’t play video games, I have a personal maid, and yes, sure, I’m a prince. Son of King Devil- oh yeah, plus I’m a devil. So, I guess I’m not a kid, I’m a junior. Junior devil, that is. Welcome to our world. My name’s Devil. No, literally. My name is Devil! Us on the royal throne are just named that, unless we get another nickname. Like my uncle Magma. One day, I was walking through my room with my royal robes on, my demonette(name for a female demon! Devils and demons are different, in royalty) servants, who, yes, DO get a good pay, if you’re wondering, surrounding me. By the time they hustled off, I had a crown, huge plates of metal armor which I love and prefer over my robes, and underneath the classic devil cloth- brown. I kicked open my doors, slid downstairs on the railing, and, this time, kindly pushed the huge metal doors to our castle open. But I didn’t meet fresh air- no, no- us devils in royalty always live in the Underworld, regardless of our wants. Me, I want to live a bit… higher.

“Hello, Mr. Underworld.” Krusher said. He’s our robot. And my brother, if you don’t count being a robot.

“Hey, Krusher. You… eh, kinda appeared out of nowhere.”

“That is understandable. Hey, I wonder why I’m talking like that.”

“Like what?”

“Like, ‘That is understandable’. Instead of, ‘That’s understandable’. Y’know?”

“Ah, yes. Better get running!” I said. I climbed up the ladder on the huge pole sticking up from the ground, which is the deep, red earth. I reach the top and step into the elevator hanging from the Underworld ceiling. As I pressed the ‘UP’ button, the thing started to rumble. Usual. The elevator played music as we strode along, inside of the mountain the Underworld’s main entrance is located on. At least in out dimension. It may be different in alternate worlds. I heard a ding as we reached the top of the peak on Doom Mountain. The doors of the machine opened up, and I ran out, and flopped my belly onto my sled, the Doom Machine. I started down the mountain, feeling like I’m flying. Too bad my horns are so sensitive to the cold. I started to feel them freeze. Frostbite! I flew- literally, this time- off the Doom Machine, and landed on the stone of the mountain. From there, my horns felt better, and I jogged to the Cycle Station. I hopped on Turbulence and began to ride. Turbulence was my motorcycle, cherished and given to me by my dad. By the time I reach the bottom of the mountain, it’s 8:48 a.m. Devil Time. Gotta get to Shadow. I have a hangout scheduled today- at 9:00 a.m. As I hustled to the house, the only one, in fact, which is raised up five hundred fifty-eight feet in the air, a rectangle of dirt, stone, and pipes holding it up. I’m riding Turbulence around the streets when a strange light provoked me and I paused to take a glance. It’s something on top of Redton Tower, the highest skyscraper in Tummapolis, the city at the summit of Mount Doom, and the thing is around 2,000 feet tall! I saw a glowing spiral in a circle shape, then all of a sudden, WHA-ZIP! A music disc cut right through one of Turbulence’s handles. “Dude!” I said. I ducked out of the way, behind a streetlight, as blaring music started to play. “HELLO, WORLD! DON’T YOU WANT TO JOIN ME WITH MUSIC?” It said. It was Soundwave. And also, very, very loud music. I felt myself being lifted off my feet, so I clung harder to the streetlight. Soundwave was the worst. She always had fifty loudspeakers, boosted one hundred times their loudest volume, ready to rise out of the earth. Not this time! I needed to get to the top of Redton Tower, but really, that would take quite a while. I sprinted in, hearing screams and shouts coming from bystanders who’d gone out to take morning walks or drives. “Uh-oh.” I said. Elevator? Nope. The whole tower was rattling now, and I would guess this is worse than ‘never use an elevator in event of fire’ ever could be. It would take half an hour to get to the top of this thing by foot- and only a minute by elevator. I was still debating when something crashed into the lobby. Soundwave again!  “What do you want, Soundwave?” I said.

“Nothing much.” She said, “Except, maybe, you!” Before she can get to me, Shadow leaps in and kicks her right in her head- which is practically a boombox. And it works. But now, it’s shattered. Smack dab on the right side, like a cookie with a bite out of it. “Come on!” Shadow said, “We have to get out of here! To the top!” And then, with a whoosh of magic, I saw black spirals and gray stars and then WHOOSH! I’m at the top of the tower, and Shadow’s exhausted. Soundwave,  of course, is there. “He- lloo.” She said, all broken down, “Your defiance to ccoommmee wiithhh meeeeee makkesss mee STRONGERR!” She lunged, and in a swoop of dust, we tackled, until I could feel the edge of the tower, nothing but air and gravity keeping us up there- and it wasn’t doing a good job. We tumbled down the skyscraper, Shadow still panting, before everything went- not black. But black and gray. Shadow had saved me! But definitely not Soundwave. She smashed the ground, and all music stopped in an instant. “Thank you, bro.” I said, “Now should we go to your house and have some fun?”

“Heck, yeah.” Shadow said.

No comments:

Post a Comment